A helpful guide to understanding consent!
1. Freely Given: A person says yes without the use of threats, pressure, force and/or coercion. Consent can’t be given if the person is under the influence of alcohol or drugs and/or passed out.
2. Reversible: You can say yes and then change your mind at any point in time!
3. Informed: Consent can only happen if the person has an honest understanding of the situation (ex: if the person says they’re going to use a condom and then they don’t, there isn’t consent).
4. Enthusiastic: Consent is a clear, excited yes or even yaaasss! You should never feel like you’re expected to do anything.
5. Specific: Saying yes to one thing (ex: making out) does not mean consent to something else (ex: sex). Consent is never implied.